Tuesday 12 August 2014

Friday night brew night

I have a friend that is very keen on home brew and has done quite well in a brewing competition.
He has been encouraging me to do more all grain brewing and it is great fun. Last Friday night I made another Irish Red Ale with a few tweaks from my last batch.



First 16 litres of water was bought up to a temperature of 76oC and a mix of malted and roasted barleys were added and left to 'mash' for 60 minutes.


I've added a thermowell into the side of my pot still and can now run it through a temperature control unit, so I take that up to 76oC and use it as a hot water tank. I put small steps on the bench to get a good head of pressure for rinsing the grains after mashing, and always conscious of good health and safety practice strapped the still to the stairs. No fun thinking of 15 litres of hot water tipping over the kitchen floor!

After sparging 27 litres of wort was bought to the boil. Hops were added at the start of the boil and it was left on a rolling boil for 60 minutes.

At the end of the boil it was cooled as rapidly as possible down to about 24oC and then poured into a fermenter. The Irish Ale Yeast was then pitched in.


Under airlock, it is now in the hot water cupboard and bubbling away quite merrily. I like the smell of the hall now, but not all in the household are so impressed...


Bottled and ready to sleep for a month or more.


No comments:

Post a Comment